Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm thinking of redoing the room in a nice rubber padding.

We've had bloodshed two days in a row down in the preschool.

Yesterday, a coat being threshed went wild and the zipper nicked a very small cheek. There was some very small blood that required a very small band-aid. There was also what I suspect was an already badly chapped lip freezing to a cold bus window and getting yanked off, resulting in a ghoulish mess. Both victims were pretty stoic for three year olds and it was taken care of with minimal drama.

Today, though, there was a bludgeoning. We have some of those wooden blocks with the metal snaps on them. The kids like to make block-robots and walk them around jerkily, saying "I.AM.A.ROBOT." I ask for the directives and they have to come up with a function. My favorite was the waving robot.

Child: "I.AM.A.ROBOT."

Me: "Greetings! What is your directive?

Child: "Uh....Oh! I.AM.A.WAVING.ROBOT. I. WAVE.AT.YOU." and then he wiggled the little arm at me. I laughed and laughed. I loved Wall-E after all.

Today though, not so funny. One little guy,(this same one, actually) wielding one of these blocks, friggin' clubbed his cousin across the back of the head with it. I broke it up and made him apologize, but the cousin didn't stop crying so I checked his head for owies. I thought his black hair was just sweaty until I realized there was red on my fingers. The poor kid had a bleeding gash across the back of his skull.

I feel so bad when they get hurt on my watch! I suppose I could bubble-wrap the room and make them wear those little straitjacket/mitten ensembles, but then they would be miserable too. I guess we all have to get tough and stay vigilant.

1 comment:

  1. No stitches, though, right? You're fine till you have to bring out the needles. The lip frozen to the bus window? OWWW!
    Sunrise two weeks from today (Sat). It is going to get even worse then, you know. Break out the bubble wrap.Jay

    ReplyDelete