Sunday, January 10, 2010

Does anyone else have conversations like this?

Mom: (completely out of nowhere) Will you be good to me when I’m in a nursing home?
Me: Uh… I guess…?
(there’s a pause where we both laugh)
Me: I always assumed you wouldn’t go to one.
Mom: What, you’d kill me before then?
Me: Wha?
Mom: I don’t think you or your sisters have it in you to smother me with a pillow.
Me: (giggling) Ohhh, I don’t know… We might summon up the strength, along with some bad memories from childhood…
Mom: (also laughing) Nope. You don’t have the guts.
(we’re both hysterical for a minute)
Me: Have you had this conversation with Dad? Questioned his stomach for killing?
Mom: (still laughing, shakes head.)
Me: Maybe if you were a skunk!* (and then we both howled with laughter.)

*My poor father has been under siege from the local skunk clans. Not as stealthy as ninjas, but in their own way, just as bad.

2 comments: